HALF MARATHON: SWITCHED TO VIRTUAL. TO LEARN ABOUT RUNNING VIRTUALLY VISIT HERE!
Register before March 1st to assure you will receive your medal, race shirt and finish line tape before the virtual race day! Plus registering before this date means you have a better chance at winning one of the hundreds of prizes we’re putting in the race packages!
Corrigan Sports Enterprises announced several changes and updates to the 2021 Oakland Running Festival as part of its new plan to host the event during our nation’s evolving adjustments to COVID 19. We are not able to secure permits from every local municipality for the entire marathon course.
This year, the race will be run virtually on the course of your choice. As we approach race day, we will provide tips on how to create your own race route.
THE NITTY GRITTY- When we return in 2022
The half-marathon is open to participants at least 14 years of age on race day.
The Kaiser Permanente Half Marathon will start at 9am and the course will close after 4.5 hours. Anyone who cannot finish the race in this time must move to the sidewalks as the course closes to allow regular vehicular traffic to resume.
The following items are not permitted on the course: pets, skateboards, bicycles, roller blades, baby joggers, and any other type of vehicle (other than official Marathon vehicles). These regulations are for your safety and the safety of the other participants in the race. The Oakland Marathon reserves the right to disqualify and remove anyone from the course who has any of the above items.
The use of personal music devices is strongly discouraged at this race. To enjoy all that our race has to offer and for the safety of all participants, the Oakland Running Festival encourages a headphone-free environment during the running of Oakland Running Festival.
We believe your race experience and those around you will be greatly enhanced by leaving the headphones at home or in the car. Running headphone-free allows opportunities to develop camaraderie with your fellow runners and to enjoy everything the race has to offer. Plus, volunteers and spectators will be on course cheering you on and providing directions to help get you to the finish line.
Runner safety has always been, and will continue to be, a top priority for our event. Please be mindful of the other participants and respect the race personnel to ensure a safe and enjoyable race for everyone. If wearing an IPod or other audio device results in you being unable to hear verbal instructions or commands; approaching vehicles or course marshals on foot or on bicycles, you may be asked to relinquish the device.
For people who use wheelchairs: Onsite registration areas, bathroom facilities, and the course are wheelchair accessible. Note that on the course, there are a few curbs to go up/down with a slight uphill finish. When you register online, the registration form will ask if you are a wheelchair participant. We do have a wheelchair division. The wheelchair division starts a few minutes before the main start of the race.
For questions about accessibility or to request an accommodation, please contact Lena Zentgraf at 510-823-2444 or e-mail: [email protected]. Requests should be made at least two weeks prior to the event. We will do our best accommodate you.
On the Course we will have 8 aid stations on the half-marathon course. At each station we will offer water and Gatorade- lemon lime. Select locations will also offer fruit, salty snacks, various flavored GU Energy Gel. We will also have at least one Port-A-John at each aid station. Along with 3 medical stations.
Gatorade Endurance Formula (Lemon-Lime) is proud to be the official on-course sports drink of the Oakland Running Festival.
It contains nearly twice the sodium (200mg) and more than three times the potassium (90mg) of Gatorade Thirst Quencher to help maintain hydration and proper fluid balance and help replace the critical electrolytes lost in sweat during these occasions.
Bib Number Requirements
- All registered participants will receive bib numbers that must be worn on race day.
- Please fill in the necessary medical and emergency contact information on the back of the bib number with a pen or waterproof marker.
- Please do not alter the bib in any way.
- The bib must be visible and worn on the front outside of all clothing during the entire race.
- Make sure your bib number is clearly visible for the race photographers.
- Bib numbers are non-transferable and must be worn by the registrant to whom it has been assigned.
The 2021 Virtual Run will be self timed. No Chip required.
The event will utilize the newest timing technology. The B-tag technology offers runners a more streamlined race experience than the traditional chip system. B-Tags are attached to participant bib and clearly marked with the corresponding bib number. This eliminates the need to scan your chip at the expo.
In addition, runners do not need to return the tag and can dispose of it at their convenience. This means no more sitting down to undo your shoe lace just after your run and it also means you no longer have to worry about the $30 charge for a lost chip.
Tips to have your time accurately recorded:
- Race bib is clearly visible on the front of the torso
- Race bib is unaltered and unmodified (Do not fold or wrinkle)
- Race bib is pinned in all four corners
- Race bib is not covered (jackets, runner belts, water bottles, etc.)
There will be no awards given out for the 2021 virtual race.
Here is what to expect when we are back to live events:
- Awards will be given to the top three male and female finishers in each five-year age group. No duplicate awards.
- Age Groups: 19 & under, 20 – 24, 25 – 29, 30 – 34, 35 – 39, 40 – 44, 45 – 49, 50 – 54, 55 – 59, 60 – 64, 65 – 69, 70 +
- Trophies will be awarded to the top three overall champions
- Awards will be given to overall masters division champions
- Awards will also be given to the top male and female finishers in the wheelchair division.
- Awards will be mailed approximately 3 weeks after race day, once results are finalized.
Bike leads for the leading male, female and Relay Team will be provided by Team Oakland Cycling for all races
Each Runner will receive a medal, two tickets for a FREE alcoholic beverage, as well as fruit, water, GU Energy gels, UTZ chips, and Gatorade.