TEAM RELAY: NOW VIRTUAL
2020 Team Relay Course
Tips on How to Register for the Team Relay
If you need to replace a team member: The team captain should log in to the portal HERE and drop/add members by August 16, 2020. There is no charge for this transaction. Team members can make reimbursement arrangements independently.
If you are a member of a relay team, you should receive an email if an email address was provided when you registered. However, only 1 member of your team will appear on the bib number image during lookup. DO NOT PANIC. This is normal and simply how it is built in the system. Your team name will be listed in the blue box on the left side of your sample bib and all members of your team will have the SAME bib number.
2020 Race Shirt
The Nitty Gritty
Each team will be given one timing chip on a Velcro band that must be held during the race. Each relay runner will pass the band to the next relay runner after crossing the timing mats at the relay exchange point. Do not cross the timing mat more than once. We suggest the outgoing runner test the strap for security before starting. All leadoff runners start at the same time as the other marathon runners – 7:00 a.m. There is not a separate start for the Relay Teams. Relay runners on the second, third, and fourth legs will need to be at their respective exchange zones well before the first marathon runners pass by, as roads will be closed.
For questions about accessibility or to request an accommodation, please contact Lena Zentgraf at 510-823-2444 or e-mail: [email protected]. Requests should be made at least two weeks prior to the event. We will do our best accommodate you.
On the Course we will have 14 aid stations on the Relay (Marathon) Course. At each station we will offer water and Gatorade- lemon lime. Select locations will also offer fruit, salty snacks, various flavored GU Energy Gel. We will also have at least one Port-A-John at each aid station. Gatorade Endurance Formula (Lemon-Lime) is proud to be the official on-course sports drink of the Oakland Running Festival. It contains nearly twice the sodium (200mg) and more than three times the potassium (90mg) of Gatorade Thirst Quencher to help maintain hydration and proper fluid balance and help replace the critical electrolytes lost in sweat during these occasions. To purchase for training, visit www.fuelbelt.com/GatoradeEndurance. Or, for more information, visit www.gatorade.com/Endurance.
There will also be a total of 5 medical aid stations on the course.
Relay Exchange Details
Each team will be given one timing chip on a Velcro band that must be held during the race. The lead-off runner will start at the same time and location as the other marathon runners. There is not a separate start for the Relay Teams. Relay runners of the second, third, and fourth legs will need to be at their respective exchange zones well before the first marathon runners pass by, as roads will be closed. Transportation from the start to the exchange points will be provided for the runners of the second, third and fourth legs. Transportation from these exchange points back to the Finish line will be also provided. On the course, signs will designate the locations of the upcoming exchange points. Upon entering the exchange area, incoming runners should make sure their bib number is visible. A volunteer will announce the incoming runner’s bib number to the waiting runners via megaphone. Waiting runners will be stationed in a designated zone according to their team’s bib number. Zones are broken down for every 100 runners. (i.e. Bib #9000-9099; 9100-9199; 9200-9299; 9300-9399) Incoming runners should know their bib number and look for these zone signs. They are white with blue numbers and stand 4-ft tall. Each relay runner will pass the wrist band to the next relay runner at the relay exchange point. We suggest the outgoing runner test the strap for security before starting. Depending on the exchange location, timing mats may be located before or after the exchange area. Do not cross the timing mat more than once with your timing chip.
Bib Number Requirements
- Each team will receive four identical bib numbers; one for each runner to wear on race day.
- Each relay runner will also receive a “Relay” sticker to be worn on the BACK of the shirt.
- Please fill in the necessary medical and emergency contact information on the back of the bib number with a pen or waterproof marker.
- Please do not alter the bib in any way.
- The bib must be visible and worn on the front outside of all clothing during the entire race. Make sure your bib number is clearly visible for the race photographers.
- Bib numbers are non-transferable and must be worn by the registrant to whom it has been assigned.
- Your team captain must pick up the timing chip during Packet Pick-Up. Without a chip, your team’s time will not be recorded!
- Chips are non-transferable and must be worn only by the team members to whom it is assigned.
- Do not cross the finish line more than once.
- If you drop out of the race, please notify a course official. You will be transported back to the stadium. DO NOT CROSS THE FINISH LINE.
- Watch the Instructional Video
- Awards for the Team Relay will be given to the top overall team in each division. This includes Male, Female and Co-ed teams.
- All relay teams must consist of (4) members, no more or no less, to be eligible for any awards
- Co-ed (Mixed) relay teams must consist of at least one female to be eligible for any awards
- Please note that those competing in (race name) for awards or prize money may not use such devices and will not be eligible for any award or prize money if such device is worn. USA Track & Field Rule 144.3, states that the visible possession or use by athletes of video, audio, or communications devices in the competition area (which includes IPods, MP3 and other musical devices) is considered assistance and is therefore are prohibited. IF YOU ARE CAUGHT WEARING A MUSICAL DEVICE, YOU WILL FORFEIT ALL PRIZE MONEY. AGE AWARDS ARE NOT SUBJECT TO THIS RULE.
- Awards will be mailed approximately 3 weeks after race day, once results are finalized.
Bike leads for the leading male, female and Relay Team will be provided by Team Oakland Cycling for all races
Each Runner will receive a medal, FREE alcoholic beverage (21+), as well as fruit, water, Gatorade, bagels.