2019 COURSE MAP
The Nitty Gritty
When at the starting line, please position yourself near the sign closest to your expected finish time. Signs will be posted in 1 minute increments from 5 minute miles up to 14+ minute miles.
The course will remain open until 2 pm (7 hours) , closing on a continuous pace of 16:00 minutes per mile. Anyone who cannot maintain this pace must move to the sidewalks as the course closes to allow regular vehicular traffic to resume.
The following items are not permitted on the course: pets, skateboards, bicycles, roller blades, baby joggers, and any other type of vehicle (other than official Marathon vehicles). These regulations are for your safety and the safety of the other participants in the race. The Oakland Marathon reserves the right to disqualify and remove anyone from the course who has any of the above items.
The use of personal music devices is strongly discouraged at this race. To enjoy all that our race has to offer and for the safety of all participants, the Oakland Running Festival encourages a headphone-free environment during the running of all of our races.
We believe your race experience and those around you will be greatly enhanced by leaving the headphones at home or in the car. Running headphone-free allows opportunities to develop camaraderie with your fellow runners and to enjoy everything the race has to offer. Plus, volunteers and spectators will be on course cheering you on and providing directions to help get you to the finish line.
Runner safety has always been, and will continue to be, a top priority for our event. Please be mindful of the other participants and respect the race personnel to ensure a safe and enjoyable race for everyone. If wearing an IPod or other audio device results in you being unable to hear verbal instructions or commands; approaching vehicles or course marshals on foot or on bicycles, you may be asked to relinquish the device.
We have experienced pace group leaders ready to help you achieve your goal time. We will have Pace Groups for the following marathon times: 3:05, 3:10, 3:15, 3:25, 3:30, 3:35, 3:40, 3:45, 3:55, 4:00, 4:10, 4:25, 4:40, and 5:00. The pace groups are a free service.
USATF Certified Course Number: CA19005DT
On the Course we will have 14 aid stations on the marathon course. At each station we will offer water and Gatorade- lemon lime. Select locations will also offer fruit, salty snacks, various flavored GU Energy Gel. We will also have at least one Port-A-John at each aid station. There will also be 5 medical aid stations on the course.
Gatorade Endurance Formula (Lemon-Lime) is proud to be the official on-course sports drink of the Oakland Running Festival.
It contains nearly twice the sodium (200mg) and more than three times the potassium (90mg) of Gatorade Thirst Quencher to help maintain hydration and proper fluid balance and help replace the critical electrolytes lost in sweat during these occasions.
Bib Number Requirements
- All registered participants will receive bib numbers that must be worn on race day.
- Please fill in the necessary medical and emergency contact information on the back of the bib number with a pen or waterproof marker.
- Please do not alter the bib in any way.
- The bib must be visible and worn on the front outside of all clothing during the entire race.
- Make sure your bib number is clearly visible for the race photographers.
- Bib numbers are non-transferable and must be worn by the registrant to whom it has been assigned.
The event will utilize the newest timing technology. The B-tag technology offers runners a more streamlined race experience than the traditional chip system. B-Tags are attached to participant bib and clearly marked with the corresponding bib number. This eliminates the need to scan your chip at the expo.
In addition, runners do not need to return the tag and can dispose of it at their convenience. This means no more sitting down to undo your shoe lace just after your run and it also means you no longer have to worry about the $30 charge for a lost chip.
Tips to have your time accurately recorded:
- Race bib is clearly visible on the front of the torso
- Race bib is unaltered and unmodified (Do not fold or wrinkle)
- Race bib is pinned in all four corners
- Race bib is not covered (jackets, runner belts, water bottles, etc.)
- Awards will be given to the top three male and female finishers in each five-year age group. No duplicate awards. This year’s age group awards are key chains featuring a design that mirrors our 10th anniversary finishers’ medals. Age group and place are engraved on the back.
- Age Groups: 19 & under, 20 – 24, 25 – 29, 30 – 34, 35 – 39, 40 – 44, 45 – 49, 50 – 54, 55 – 59, 60 – 64, 65 – 69, 70 – 74, 75 +
- Trophies will be given to the top three overall champions
- Awards will be given to the overall masters division
- Cash prizes will no longer be awarded.
- Awards will be mailed approximately 3 weeks after race day, once results are finalized.
Bike leads for the leading male, female and Relay Team will be provided by Team Oakland Cycling for all races
Each Runner will receive a medal, a heat sheet, two tickets for a FREE alcoholic beverage, as well as fruit, water, Gatorade, bagels.