Sunday, March 17 @ 7:00am
NEW COURSE REVEALED!
- Miles 1–5: You’ll start near the historic and newly remodeled Henry J. Kaiser Center for the Arts, head out through Oakland’s Little Saigon neighborhood and around the east side of Lake Merritt before enjoying Grand Avenue and its Grand Lake Theater as well as the Piedmont Avenue neighborhood.
- Miles 6–10: As you approach the Half Way milestone, you’ll experience Downtown Oakland, Telegraph Avenue and its famous Fox Theater before looping around Lake Merritt’s north and west banks.
- Miles 11–20: New for 2024 is the joy of running on the Bay Area’s Bay Bridge with epic views on an out-and-back to Yerba Buena Island.
- 21 to the Finish: Coming off the Bay Bridge and its downhill miles, you’ll pass near Jack London Square prior to celebrating your finish right back in front of the Henry J. Kaiser Center for the Arts.
The Marathon will start at 7:00am. When at the starting line, please position yourself near the sign closest to your expected finish time.
The National Anthem will take place at approximately 6:50am.
There is a 7-hour time limit for the Marathon. This is approximately a 16-minute pace from the gun start. Participants unable to keep up with the course time limit may be redirected as the course closes to allow regular vehicular traffic to resume.
Bike leads for the leading male and female for all race distances will be provided.
Each participant will receive at the finish line, at a minimum, their finisher’s medal, fruit, water, electrolytes, and healthy snacks.
The following items are not permitted on the course: Dogs or any pets, skateboards, bicycles, roller blades, baby joggers, and any other type of vehicle (other than official Marathon vehicles). These regulations are for your safety and the safety of the other participants in the race. The Oakland Marathon reserves the right to disqualify and remove anyone from the course who has any of the above items.
To enjoy all that our race has to offer and for the safety of all participants, the Oakland Marathon encourages a headphone-free environment during the running of all of our races. You must be able to hear any verbal instructions or commands from race staff.
Please be mindful of the other participants and respect the race personnel to ensure a safe and enjoyable race for everyone.
All aid stations will have water, electrolytes and portable restrooms. At select aid stations, noted below we also have energy gels. For more detailed information regarding on-course nutrition scroll down lower on this page. Specific aid station locations are subject to change.
- Mile 2.5: Grand Ave & El Embarcadero
- Mile 4: Monte Vista Blvd and Piedmont Ave
- Mile 5.25: Monte Vista Blvd and Piedmont Ave
- Mile 6.5: Grand Ave & El Embarcadero (GU)
- Mile 9: 14th St and Broadway
- Mile 10.5: Washington St and 3rd St
- Mile 12: Henry St and 5th St
- Mile 14.25: Burma Rd and Maritime St (GU)
- Mile 17.75: Yerba Buena Island / Bay Bridge Trail
- Mile 21.25: Burma Rd and Maritime St (GU)
- Mile 23.5: Henry St and 5th St
- Mile 24.5: 3rd St and MLK (GU)
- Finish 🎉
Thanks to the Lake Merritt Joggers and Striders as well as On Pace, we will have pacers in 10-minute increments to support runners aiming for a 3-hour finish time goal to six hours.
Onsite registration areas, bathroom facilities, and the course are wheelchair accessible. Note that on the course, there are a few curbs to go up/down. When you register online, the registration form will ask if you are a wheelchair participant. We do have a wheelchair division. The wheelchair division starts a few minutes before the main start of the race.
For questions about accessibility or to request accommodation, please e-mail: [email protected]. Requests should be made at least two weeks prior to the event. We will do our best to accommodate you.
- All registered participants will receive bib numbers that must be worn on race day.
- Please fill in the necessary medical and emergency contact information on the back of the bib number with a pen or waterproof marker.
- Please do not alter the bib in any way.
- The bib must be visible and worn on the front outside of all clothing during the entire race.
- Make sure your bib number is clearly visible for the race photographers.
- Bib numbers are non-transferable and must be worn by the registrant to whom it has been assigned.
B-Tags are attached to the participant’s bib and clearly marked with the corresponding bib number. You do not need to return your bib or b-tag chip.
Tips to have your time accurately recorded:
- Race bib is clearly visible on the front of the torso
- Race bib is unaltered and unmodified (Do not fold or wrinkle)
- Race bib is pinned in all four corners
- Race bib is not covered (jackets, runner belts, water bottles, etc.)
Awards are provided in three categories: Men, Women and Non-Binary+.
Top 3 overall in each category (Men, Women and Non-Binary+) will be honored at the Ronald McDonald House Celebration Village. Stay tuned for the award ceremony schedule.
1st place Masters (40+ years old) in each category (Men, Women and Non-Binary+) will also be honored at the Ronald McDonald House Celebration Village. Stay tuned for the award ceremony schedule.
The top 3 in each Age Group will also be eligible to receive a unique gift at the Ronald McDonald House Charities Celebration Village. Age group divisions for the Marathon for each of the categories (Men, Women & Non-Binary+) are as follows: 19 & Under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85-89, 90+
2024 NUTRITION PARTNERS
On the Course, we will have participant support throughout your race including water, energy gels by Berkeley-based GU, and electrolytes provided by Santa Barbara-based Voli Wellness. You can prepare for race day by enjoying a discount on their products below.
Voli: Try their hydration products ahead of race day and receive 20% off your purchase with code RUNOAKLAND24 at checkout.
We’ll have the energy going all morning long throughout downtown Oakland thanks to local entertainers and hundreds of volunteers! Go ahead and give ’em a high five and share the love!
The 2024 lineup will be announced prior to race week.